Morning view from Dundee Law in southern direction to the Firth of Tay. The 3.3 km long railway bridge crossing the estuary dates back to 1887. It was constructed as an enhanced replacement for an older bridge: the first Tay crossing had catastrophically collapsed in a winter storm in December 1879 in its second year of operation, thereby claiming the lives of approx. 75 train passengers and staff. The stumps of the old bridge piers are still visible.